Historic Built Environment
Our Historic Built Environment team is led by experienced architectural historians and historic preservation experts specializing in historic resource significance evaluations in consideration of the National Register of Historic Places, the California Register of Historical Resources, Hawai’i Register of Historic Places, Washington Heritage Register and Heritage Barn Register, and local-level evaluation criteria and integrity requirements.
Contextualizing the Historic Built Environment
We have conducted thousands of historical resource evaluations and developed detailed historic context statements for a multitude of property types and architectural styles, including private residential, commercial, transportation, industrial, educational, medical, ranching, mining, airport, and cemetery properties, as well as a variety of engineering structures and water conveyance resources.
We Exceed Standards
We have also provided expertise on numerous projects requiring conformance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, served as third-party review consultants, and served as expert witnesses in legal proceedings. Our senior staff exceed the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards for Architectural History, and are experienced in assessing impacts/effects to historical resources/historic properties for projects that fall under the California Environmental Quality Act/National Environmental Policy Act and Sections 106 and 110 of the National Historic Preservation Act.
What We Do
- Archival research
- Building permit/property record research
- Construction specifications review
- Existing condition assessments
- HABS/HAER/HALS documentation
- Historic context statements
- Historic group consultation
- Historic properties impact assessments
- Historic Resource Evaluation Reports
- Historic resource surveys/inventories
- Historical resources impact assessments
- Materials analysis and testing
- Preservation alternatives Development